Man do I miss getting my therapeutic ranting out!
I should have checked to see when the last time I posted was in case there has been anything really extreme that's happened, but oh well. Work has been ridiculously hectic and I barely have time to check and read emails at the present.
Today I'm posting positive thoughts and happy memories for the future. I'm in Paris (TN) visiting with half of my family for Christmas. Yesterday dad and DH went and processed the three deer that the DH took out last week. They were gone for over six hours taking care of em'. They arrived just in time for a fabulous dinner: baked ham, scalloped potatoes, cream corn, black eye peas (which I actually ate and kind of enjoyed), deviled eggs, and stuffed olives. Then hours later a fabulous orange pound cake that Uncle Mike pulled out all the stops on. This year he decorated it with mandarin oranges and a whipped item in the center. Delicious as usual.
I didn't help with dinner, but I did take care of the finger foods to add to the left overs for today. I made spinach artichoke dip and a salmon ball. I've discovered why the dip is SOOOO tasty, it's fat, fat, and more fat with a few veggies thrown in to be eaten with sweet bread or tasty crackers. Guess I'm going to have to try and make this or maybe this one. They both sound really really yummy. I might even attempt to mix and match em' and create a twisted recipe. I like the fact that the first one uses a wee bit of mayo (it's one of my least favorite condiments) and the second one uses cream cheese (which I would substitute Laughing Cow Light that I LOVE) and the bite of crumbled feta.
Now the salmon ball is a bit of a different story. We've had it every year for Christmas as a finger food for as long as I can remember. Up until last year I've never been too fond of it. Well this year I told dad that I would take care of the finger foods while he was out cleaning. I was very prepared for my small tasks at hand but my Uncle didn't think I could do it and insisted on helping. In the beginning it frustrated me, but I ended up being a bit thankful. He taught me something I didn't know. We use canned salmon for the ball and I just assumed it was like canned tuna, I WAS WAY WRONG! That stuff was pretty nasty upon first sight. It looks like a real fish with the heads and tails cut off and stuffed in there. Mike cleaned the skin, bones, and fatty tissue pieces. I would have just opened it up and dumped it out the way I do tuna. So next year I'll be able to do it myself or any other time I want one or wanna share one.
Haven't had either one of the apps yet, but I'm sure it will be tasty with all the left overs this afternoon/evening. Later coconut cake!!!
Now on to the wonderful, thoughtful, amazing gifts.... When we got here Tuesday night we settled in and watched some TV. When it was time for dad to go to bed he beckoned me over and told me that he wanted his quilt so I could have the first one now (the quilt was covering it). It was a large box and I knew that there was something that we were getting big because dad made sure that DH was driving. I thought it was a safe, but nope it was something even more unexpected: a humidifier! I'm sure you're thinking "woo hoo, who really wants or needs one of those", but we (or at least I) do. We have natural gas for heat at home and every year when it kicks on I get sick. The heat is so dry. I always have to put jars of water by the vent. Not anymore!!! The humidifier is supposed to work in 2,000 square feet which is larger than our home. I can't wait to put it up and see if it works. Last night after dinner we exchanged the rest. One of the packages dad told me that I had to guess what it was before I could open it. I wasn't able to open it until I guessed it right, no limits on guesses or anything. I was all over the place with my questions and would have been going forever if dad hadn't given me THE best clue: "you can't find it on the shelf any more" (I knew that he'd ordered it off the Internet). I didn't know if "you" meant generalized or me in specific. Once he told me me in specific I knew right away. He got me a "case" of the best stuff ever. I've only been able to buy it at stores two times and it's my all time favorite tea! I've been searching for a comparable product and hording my last bag or two like golden treasure. Now I'll be able to consume it on regular basis!
Dad and Aaron were so tickled that I got excited over something so simple, but I'll never forget it, especially while I'm drinking the tasty elixir.
Now we get to do two days of celebrating with DH's family and he goes off to Gatlinburg and I"m headed off to do Christmas with my mom and her side of the family.
No comments:
Post a Comment