Man what a day! Aaron had his alarm set for 8:45, so that we could get up and get Izzie to her dr.’s appt at 9:20. However I, as usual, got up way before that. I did the daily morning routines. For breakfast I had a banana (I think, isn’t that awful when you can’t remember what you ate twelve hours ago!?!?!). Of course the alarm went off and I jumped up to start getting ready, only to discover that DH has hit the snooze button (of course). I guess he must have thought that since I was up he didn’t need a digital reminder. Well I was dressed and ready to go, but of course he was rushing as usual. At 9:15 (our appt. being at 9:20) he says he has to do something before we leave. I won’t tell you what he needed to do, but I will say it’s a guy thing and it usually takes 10 to 15 minutes to accomplish. With that being said, I told him ‘honey really?, we don’t have time for that, you should have gotten up early, and now you’re just going to have to wait’.
So we take Izzie to her dr.’s appt. and they want to keep her there b/c of her vitals. She has an under temperature reading. Did you know that dog’s avg. tem runs at 101 degrees? Hers was 97, which is more degrees low than it was the other day when she had a temperature. What do you call it when someone’s temperature is under? If it’s high it’s called a fever, but no clue about the other way. They’ve got the blood work back and the only thing the doc is worried about has something to do with her kidneys’ and protein. Doc says she wants us to work on making sure Izzie gets enough water and eats more raw, bland, unseasoned protein: boiled chicken.
Well since we had to leave her there we needed to go get the medicines; part being at home and the other part being at the pharmacy b/c we didn’t have time to pick it up on the way. As soon as we got in the car DH says he needs to take care of his man’s business and asks me to drop him off at his parents. I took him there, ran by the pharmacy, which took an extra 15 plus minutes (more details in a moment), headed back to the house to get necessary items, and went back to the vet to drop off meds. While dropping off meds and food I got a pleasant greeting from Izzie. She started ‘talking’ and was way more active in the kennel. She came out and socialized for a few minutes. We (the vet tech and I) gave Izzie her meds together. I was so happy! She ate some wet dog food, chicken and rice. When we got to the last pill she did not like it and was done eating for us. So I hung out for a few more minutes, but didn’t want to feel like one of those obnoxious parents that hang out for too long so I left. That was an awful feeling, leaving our doggie there without us. OH what a taste of parenting.
Before I go on about my day I’d like to regress to complain/compliment the pharmacy at the East Kroger branch. I go to get the meds, which I dropped off last night, and the pharm. tech told me it would be an hour, but I didn’t want to go back and get them nor did we need them until this morning. Anyways, I’m at the drive through window trying to pick them up and the actual pharmacist was there. The meds were not completely ready! They were bottled, but not bagged and tagged. So the lady had to do the last steps of getting them ready. In the process she noticed that the label read strangely. The script was a forty count, two xs a day for ten days, which would only add up to twenty, so why on earth were we getting forty? Well she went back and reread the script and realized that the label was incorrect. Props for her for realizing and correcting someone’s mistake, but boo that it wasn’t already done b/c that meant that our doggie was getting her meds kind of later than she really needed them. Also the lady was super nice and compassionate when I told her what was going on.
Now back to my day. After leaving the vet I went to the Vaughn’s house and we hung out for a while. I ate two oranges, in attempt to wave off the hunger rumbles I was having till lunch time. When I couldn’t wait any longer I asked everyone else if they were ready. Luckily enough ‘mom’ was and that got the ball rolling. I really wanted to eat the Thai food around the corner but they didn’t do lunch on Saturdays and I didn’t want to pay full price for food I didn’t know if I liked or not. So I had to come up with something else. I didn’t really feel like waiting for something at this point so I suggested BK, which was the closest place and we had coupons. DH suggested Mitchell’s deli which I’ve wanted to try for a while. Luckily enough ‘dad’ told me that we could call in our order and pick it up! YAY for that idea. I had the turkey bacon avocado, DH had the Italian, ‘mom’ had the turkey cranberry, and ‘dad’ had the French dip. On the way to the deli we stopped at Kroger to buy some baked Lays and breakfast items (yogurt and cottage cheese to go with all my fruit) for this week.
DH: was really good. Kind of wish I’d gotten it, but it wasn’t as healthy an alternative.
MINE: was decent. I’d eat it again. I held the mayo and substituted mozzarella cheese for the cheddar. I was impressed, shocked, and confounded to realize that it was real mozzarella, like the kind that makes great cheese sticks, not the sliced stuff that I was expecting. So it was kind of squishy. I would have liked it better if it had some sauce, maybe some cilantro/pesto mix or mustard of some kind. Aaron said ‘mayo would have been good’, but I’m not really a mayo kinda gal.
‘MOMs’: it was okay. It was warm and squishy. I was expecting it to be colder and more of kick to it.
I didn’t try ‘dads’, but he was super picky about it and went through and picked out some fatty pieces.
The price we paid was a bit different than the price online, by a dollar or two, not a huge deal, but I’m a stickler/obsessive for things being correct. The place was a bit crowded, there was a Cherry Blossom Festival going on in the area, but smelled AMAZING! It smelled like bacon and BBQ inside, which I saw lots of on peoples plates.
IMO, I’d go back and tweak some things, now that I know a little bit more about it. Oh, yeah, the sandwiches were pretty large and I only ate half which means I get to eat it again tomorrow and maybe I’ll remember to take some special sauce with me.
Well by the time we finished our lunch it was time to go get Izzie. We picked her up and got good news. She ate the whole can of food and took all her meds! She was also her perky, tail wagging, walking self when we picked her up. The second doc wants to leave the port in, and have us take her to the Nolensville vet tomorrow for more fluids if necessary and so that doc can take it out. The main reason to leave it in was incase we had to take her to the ER or she did need more fluids is b/c they charge a pretty penny to insert one.
Back at the house we settled in to watch some X files only for DH to fall asleep. So I logged on to the net and attempted to play around. Not much really happened during the time btwn getting home and dinner. We had BBQ ribs, swt. pot. fries, and broccoli for dinner. And I had pudding for dessert. We watched our CSI during dinner. It was strange. It was the start of season 10 and there were a few things they eluded to right at the beginning that neither one of us remember happening from the last season. STRANGE!! We gave Izzie her meds around 8 or so and that was fun (read very sarcastically). We tried putting it in wet food, she snubbed it. We tried PB, she snubbed it. DH made some boiled chicken, she ate a couple of bites and realized the meds were in there so she started trying to shred the chicken and get the meds out. Finally we had to pry her mouth open, drop the pills in, and inject water from a syringe in her mouth. Man that was awful. Aaron was stressed and frustrated. Izzie wasn’t cooperating. And I just didn’t really like make it traumatic for her. Which I know people say ‘don’t treat your pets like kids, b/c they aren’t’, but man it’s hard. I keep thinking ‘is this the way we’re going to be if we have children?’. Another reason not to have them. Even though I KNOW in my head, it’s not like they are sick all the time and they do do some wonderful amazing things. Jury’s still out.
I also spent some time on the net trying to find ideas to fix the pineapple other than just straight, so I don’t get burned out since I have five! I know I’ll at least consume three b/c I bought those for us; I’m hoping the other two last long enough to take to dad. Now I’ve got to finish finding ways and start looking for ideas for strawberries and cantaloupes.
I really hope she heals quickly; it’s hard seeing her be so solemn. My high for the day… The greeting we got when we picked her up.
Thanks for being there…
No comments:
Post a Comment