Monday, April 18, 2011

how much?!?!

So today was even more awful than Friday and the rest of the weekend.  It started out easily enough.  We had planned on taking Izzie to the vet regardless to get more fluids and to remove her port.  Aaron actually woke up at seven am and called the vet about taking her in.  When he first called the person who answered the phone said he couldn’t come in till ten b/c that’s when the docs got in.  So this kind of threw off our plan to carpool to save money on gas.  Luckily enough the doc called back with in twenty minutes and said we could bring her in b/c it was a special case.  So he got ready, took me to work, and dropped her off. 

The day goes pretty normal considering I was exhausted from the emotionally draining weekend.  At 11:20 or so Aaron calls me.  I couldn’t answer it b/c the kids were still awake.  However he called again not even five minutes later.  Now I knew something was wrong so I answered it.  He vet did a blood work check and it showed that Izzie was unusually low in some important blood item and was causing her to become/or be anemic.  Her first thought was there is possible internal bleeding.  She thought this b/c it was strange for her count to drop so dramatically in a few days.  Well at this point we have to take her to a specialist and get lots of testing done.  Aaron stats something along the lines of “an approximation of fees are 3 to 5 thousand dollars and he doesn’t believe we should pay that and wondered dif we should put her down”.  OMG, OMG, OMG, were we really talking about putting or big girl down?  It was such a hard idea to wrap my mind around.  So fortunately enough I was able to leave as soon as Aaron got there and we took her to the specialist. 

We dropped her off around one and didn’t get to pick her up till after six.  They x-rayed her chest and there weren’t any bad signs.  Then they did an ultra sound on her belly.  They saw some abnormalities in her liver, kidneys, and the mass we saw a picture of when they removed her uterus.  However b/c she had surgery on Friday there was lots of air in the belly where the uterus was located and ultrasounds don’t read air, they read solids.  He gave us a guestimate (the price of a used car) to do an “exploratory” surgery, which basically means opening he up, probing around, and trying to find what’s wrong.  It also covered a blood transfusion if needed and other necessary ‘fixes’ that might need to be taken care of ASAP.  That DIDN’T cover a treatment if they found something. 

Basically it all means that now we KNOW she’s dying and we can’t do much about it other than keep her happy, comfortable, and content.  It’s kind of better knowing now instead of her just passing away on day without warning.  Now we get to cherish our last days with her. 

When we got home and ate dinner she was semi back to her usual self.  She licked both our plates clean (we had pot roast, potatoes, and onions).  Then I gave her the pb sandwich leftover from this morning covered in fat with broth and she was so funny.  She ate the fat first and tried licking the broth.  After some coercing she ate the sandwich. 

While waiting forever to get the phone all to pick her up we went to Costco and the mall and walked around.  I was lucky enough to finally find and purchase myself a pair of white heels to wear through out the summer!  I’ve been looking for white shoes I like for over a year (not to mention the price I was willing to pay). 

Food wise I didn’t do too hot today.  I ate my cheerios with a banana, missed lunch b/c of the vet appt, ate a bunch of way fattening food samples at Costco, had pot roast and fixings with a glass of red wine for dinner.  I'm not even going to try to guestimate the point’s values, just hope to do better tomorrow. 

High today was that Izzie ate and now we know sorta kinda what’s going on.

Thanks for letting me get this out…

No comments:

Post a Comment