Today was pretty good. I got up bright and early and had the rest of my cantaloupe for bfast. I piddled around till ten and got hubs out of bed to start our day. I really waited to get him out b/c I thought Tiff would call but she didn’t (at least not before ten).
Once he was up and ready we headed over to his parents to check the net and get Costco Coupons. I showed him the restaurants for next week and we picked out seven (I think) and now have to work on narrowing it down. He definetly wants to go to Crow’s Nest and Goten, but I sorta kinda want to try new places, I’m torn!
While we were there I went ahead and checked my email only b/c I wanted to know what the ‘deals’ were for the day. Upon checking it I discovered that Tiff emailed me about today, which caused him and I to get into a heated discussion (mainly b/c I have a short fuse). He thought that we should just go back home and basically wait around for her to call and he would go to the store on his own. I on the other hand thought that we should continue our day b/c I told her last night that I don’t have the net at home and as we got off the phone I specifically told her to call or msg me about what she wanted to do today. He thought I was treating her like a two year old and making rules for her that were unrealistic and inappropriate and my thought process was ‘if we hadn’t come here by fluke to get coupons I would never have known she emailed me esp. since I requested for of contact in another way’. Well we worked it out (it felt a bit awkward to have the semi heated discussion (stupid temper) with his dad in the other room) and finished looking.
As we got in the car I had a msg, a missed call, and a vm from Tiff! That’s the way the world works huh. She and I decided that we would meet up after one b/c she had a few errands to run. So Aaron and I went to Costco and Wal Mart. While we were at Costco I finally got the card with my picture! Oh yeah we also renewed the membership! Guess we (read I) should let Carolyn know. I didn’t get anything exciting. Since we had to do it quickly I made a few purchases that weren’t well thought about: another box of gum (I have an addiction), canned salmon deboned and deskinned already (not even sure if I like the stuff but found some recipes recently called for it and just tossed it in the buggy), and 3lbs of lunch meat (only b/c there was a coupon – I’ll have to store it in the freezer and pull out as needed to keep it from spoiling, I hope Aaron will help me eat it). We were in and out within an hour! That’s pretty amazing for me! I usually like to wonder and linger and peruse.
At Wal Mart I finally remembered to get pimento’s to make pimento and cheese. Third time’s a charm. However I had to get the big jar b/c they were all sold out of the small ones. I finally broke down and purchased the cheap (at least I think it is compared to others, well it looks like it anyways) banana hammock. I really hope the sucker keeps the bananas longer. I also bought Ms. Christi a small b-day present: apple pie Extra gum. I know she has a favorite but we always share and chat about the new flavors and I don’t think she’s had this one yet. I wanted to make her this recipe I found online the other day, but I don’t need any extra baked goods in my house (I’ve still got the pies dad got me, the homemade baked goods he forced upon me, and the pie from last weekend). We thought we were going to be quick and get in and out of Wal Mart too, we shopped with separate buggies, BUT nooooo, the lines were forever long at all the checkout counters. We would typically go through a self check out but I (being a cheapskate or money saver; whichever term you prefer to call me) did price matching shopping and didn’t think I could do it myself so we had to go to a person. Well we picked the wrong one!!!! She was slow and extremely un-customer-friendly. Not to mention the lady who was in front of the man in front of us had ten cases of biscuits and other groceries. What is she doing with all those biscuits? I upset Aaron again while he was checking out. I didn’t know he’d ever done price matching and ‘stepped on his toes’ when it was his turn. Future note let him make his own mistakes and try to bite my tongue while he learns from them – basically stop being a control freak!!!
It was a quarter after two when we finally got out of the store, an hour after Tiff had called again for us to meet up. Damn line!
Back at home we put our groceries away and I made coffee so Tiff and I could have iced coffee while we shopped. When she got here she made me feel better about my feelings bout Izzie. She thought she looked good and still has some time. I’m still worried about her, but now at least I know we aren’t crazy thinking she seems okay. As we were getting ready to leave, after making the iced coffee’s, I knocked one over. EEERRRRR!!! I was wearing a white skirt so I had to change b/4 cleaning it up, but she’s amazing and jumped right in and started cleaning and did most of it while I was changing (I wasn’t risking it since I cleaned it by hand and q-tip this morning).
I had mixed feelings about showing her our house. I usually like to have a clean place when people see it for the first time. But this was pretty impromptu and I know she’s got two cats so she might be a little bit more understandable? I tidied up the coffee table and swept. Well I showed her the guest bedroom and she commented something along the lines of it not being a pigsty or something that pulled at the strings of emotions. And after we finished our partial cups of coffee she dumped the cubes and rinse water on the clean dishes. We keep cleaned dished turned down on the left side of the sink and dirty dishes turned up on the right side. So both sides were full; cleaned ones from yesterday and dirty ones from dinner last night that we typically wash the next evening while making dinner. We don’t have enough counter space to keep a dish drying rack to drain into the sink nor is there enough room to dry the dishes. I don’t like using the dishwasher b/c we don’t use dishes quickly enough. It was kind of awkward. She’s the first person who’s been in our house that doesn’t really know us. You’d think I’m old enough not to worry about what people think, but guess it never ends. Oh and I was a horrible ‘host’, I didn’t introduce her to Aaron! She introduced herself! Guess I was flustered bout the time since I wanted to do things quickly and was still contemplating her comment bout the guest bedroom.
Shopping was fun though. We went to Essex first and she taught me something I didn’t know: they lower their prices on their products by how long they’ve been on the shelf. For the first month they are on the shelf it’s the price stated on the sticker and lowers 10% every thirty days it’s there. NEAT!!! I bought two books for $0.25 each. Super exciting, especially since I joined that new meetup group. I think I’m going to have to go there more often and look at the dates on the products, hoping that all Essex ’s sale that way. Then we went to Target. I did buy way too much stuff there, at least price wise, I spent $95.00. I bought mom some cushions I hope she likes for her patio furniture that cost $50.00 and four seasons of Hero’s at $10.00 a season. I’m hoping that’s all the seasons there are of the show, but really thought there were eight. I’ve got to go to Aldi’s tomorrow and wonder if I can swing buy the in-laws and check online. I hate that I have to drive back over there, wish I’d had time to do it yesterday or even had the ability to connect to the net using wireless. But I also need to look at the restaurants and finalize them. Thankfully we are closed on Monday and that’ll be my Sunday maybe? After Target we went to Goodwill. I found several dresses I liked for $4.00 but only one fit me. By this time we were hungry and tired and really wanted to be done and considered not getting our goodies, but we toughed it out. I got home close to seven.
I snacked on cherries and grapes while watching an episode of Numb3rs. Then we went to Mad Platter for dinner. I got to use my livingsocial deal finally (since it expires next Saturday). I’ve got mixed feelings about the place. I love their soups at the charity event the last two years, but I’m just let down. The ambience was nice; cozy place, kind of romantic, table set pretty picture, candle lit as you sit down. But it was a reservation only kind of place. And the menu was pricey, but it just didn’t match the building. The menu was extremely small. The wine list came in a leather bound folder and was about six pages, but only the first page was wines you could order by the glass. And none of them were even that amazing IMO. Aaron ordered the lamb, $27.00, MR; it came with a couscous with cherries, eggplant (underdone), and baby okra. It was delicious. The meat as cooked just right. The grain was sweet and earthy with a touch of herb (I think mint). There were three ‘chops’ about two ounces each if I had to guess. I ordered the duck breast, $24.00, MR; it came with ricotta gnocchi and some minced sautéed veggies. The dish was supposed to have a maple cider reduction. Noticed I said ‘supposed’ to. I think there was a drizzle in one corner. Wasn’t really on the duck or anywhere else. The gnocchi was cold, not ice cold, but room temperature cold. I think it ‘died’ in the window waiting for something. This is the second time I’ve had gnocchi (the first was at Sunset Grill and it was okay, but it was covered in too much other stuff and all that overpowered the gnocchi so I didn’t get a real representation of it) and I’m not sure I see what all they hype is about. I know the one I ate was super fattening and doubt I’ll get it again. I’m sure I’ll try it if it’s offered, but won’t get a whole plate of it. Guess that’s just a trendy boat I can’t climb aboard. The duck was good though. Isn’t that sad? Out of all my descriptions of my plate I only have one positive statement. The duck wasn’t great, just good. If I’d been paying full price and it wasn’t so damn late I would have complained in a heart beat and not think twice. Hell, it was two hours worth of pay to be consumed in twenty minutes and cold! We didn’t get dessert. The server wasn’t that great at all. If I hadn’t have been in the industry myself and felt guilty about not leaving an appropriate tip she would have gotten considerably less (and if I’d had ones). Overall – we WILL NOT be going back there on our own dime, nor will I get a ‘deal’ again. Guess I’ll just enjoy their soups at the charity event.
Now I’m going to have a slice of an amazing homemade pie and read my book.
High today: two books for so cheap!
Thanks for letting me ramble bout my awful experience and fun shopping day…
No comments:
Post a Comment