Saturday, August 27, 2011

Alexia and pie

Today was an amazingly wonderful day.  I’m so glad I got to come to Paris and spend time with mom and dad.  I woke up earlier than mom and David.  I logged onto the laptop and was able to sort of connect to the net.  It wasn’t the greatest connection, but I read off and on through the disconnect.  After she woke up we headed into the kitchen together.  I used mom’s coffee maker I got her for Christmas and made ‘iced coffee’.  Big deal?  Well it was!  When I normally make iced coffee I make strong half serving coffee and pour it over ice and let the ice water down the strength of the hot coffee while chilling it.  Mom’s pot used ice and made the coffee come out of the carafe chilled!  Even though the top of the machine was warm to the touch like it made normal coffee. 

Then she made some super fabulous fattening bfast: a real egg omelet with mushrooms, onion, red pepper, and cheese and biscuits!  OMGEEEE I made a huge piggy of myself!  After bfast we sat outside together on the swing and chatted while playing with the animals in the shade.  Once David left we headed to the garage and I went through her goodies to see what I wanted.  Then I helped her price the books and set them out.  It was nice.  While we did the books she busted out the bottle of Alexia and we enjoyed a couple of glasses.  She too actually enjoyed the wine!  We got to a stopping point and went inside and had a heart to heart about family.  I discovered that calling her dad by his name offended her and she thought I should call him ‘granddaddy’ and didn’t understand why I didn’t.  She blames dad saying that he didn’t permit us to be around them.  I don’t know whose fault it is, but ‘granddaddy’ just doesn’t come naturally to me.  ‘Sam’ does.  I don’t use it around him; I actually consciously say ‘granddaddy’.  I also found my original birth certificate!  That means now I can get a passport and I need to either frame it or put it in some sort of safe box.  I though about asking Ross if I could put it in his safe until we get one.  I should also ask about putting our SS card and wedding license. 

Before heading over here to dads I went w mom to Dollar General to get some drugs for her allergy on her arms and legs that have bothering her, then we went to the wine store, and lastly stopped at the Dairy Freeze to get her a BLT.  I almost bought DH a wonderful gift.  When I was checking out there was a miniature skull for eight bucks.  They didn’t have a small black one just white and a reddish orange one.  They did have a large black one though for close to eighty bucks.  I just couldn’t bring myself to pay that much for vodka when DH isn’t even really a connoisseur I just wanted the container.  The black one was more expensive than the other b/c it’s aged and stored differently.  Wouldn’t have thought vodka was an aged product. 

When I got to dads I gave him his chocolates and he gave me my treats: mints from Sally Lanes!  Which was hilarious, since I bought some for my CT.  I also gave Mike his Madeira.  Then I gave Mike his belated bday gift: wine tool and Merlot and gave dad his early bday gift: mandolin.  They were both super excited about everything they got.  Then we opened the black Muscat.  It was nice.  Not as sweet as the concord but not as dry as a regular red. 

Dad treated us to a wonderful dinner: smoked brisket, baked beans, corn on the cob, jiffy muffins, and potato salad.  For dessert Mike made a homemade coconut cream pie.  He tweaked his pie crust using Lilly White flour and balsamic vinegar.  I thought it was yummy and was meant to be with sweet fruitiness.  His other crust should be with chocolate or pumpin/swt potato.  I told him he should make both crusts and I’ll do a blind taste to see which one’s better.  Let’s hope he does it this fall when he makes pies!  The pie was very pina colad-e flavored, more so thank coconut on it’s own.  Not sure why, definitely not complaining, it was good, just different. 

I tried to stay up, but dad surpassed me to stay up and watch the race.  I’m going to pass out now.

High today: quality time with mom and dad, brisket, and good wine (especially since Mike raved about my Merlot).

I appreciate you hanging with me over the weekend…

No comments:

Post a Comment